West Bengal, located in the eastern part of India, is known for its rich cultural heritage and traditional handicrafts. Here are some of the famous handicrafts from West Bengal:
- Terracotta: The art of terracotta pottery is a popular handicraft in West Bengal, particularly in the districts of Bankura, Birbhum, and Hooghly. The artisans create various items like pots, vases, figures of gods and goddesses, and animals using clay.
- Baluchari sarees: Baluchari sarees are a type of silk saree that originated in the Murshidabad district of West Bengal. These sarees are known for their intricate designs and use of vibrant colors, depicting scenes from epics like Ramayana and Mahabharata.
- Dokra craft: Dokra craft is a traditional art form that involves making brassware using the lost-wax casting technique. This craft is mainly practiced by the tribal communities of the Bankura, Purulia, and Birbhum districts.
- Kantha embroidery: Kantha embroidery is a form of embroidery that involves stitching together layers of old saris, dhotis, and other cloth pieces to make a quilt or a cushion cover. This craft is popular in the Nadia and Murshidabad districts of West Bengal.
- Patachitra: Patachitra is a traditional art form that involves painting on a piece of cloth or a dried palm leaf using natural colors. This craft is popular in Midnapore, Bankura, and Purulia districts.
- Sholapith craft: Sholapith craft involves making items like figurines, flowers, and masks using the stem of the shola plant, which is found in the marshy areas of West Bengal. This craft is popular in Birbhum, Bankura, and Purulia districts.
These are just some of the traditional handicrafts that West Bengal is famous for. Each craft has its unique style and technique, and they all reflect the state's rich cultural heritage. Uthhan- Empowering Artisans supports the underprivileged artisans of West Bengal by selling their products directly to the customer without any middlemen. Uthhan is feeding more than 20k plus artisan families in West Bengal.
To explore their crafts in Uthhan visit
To Know more about Uthhan Visit
- Team Uthhan
Post a Comment